Monday, February 8, 2010

Tuff Stuff


With a new belt (Purple) come tougher challenges. I was called late in the evening on Thurs Jan 28th by Coach John Moore. He told me that Jarrod Clontz the owner and coach of AFC in Killeen was holding a small NoGi event at his school and that he wanted me for a featured 10 minute Purple Belt Superfight similar to the one I did at his event in Feb of 2009. I thought about it for a minute and opted to do it.

John n I went with a few guys that were competing for the first time. I was a lil nervous as this was my first event as a purple belt and my coach was there as well as my fellow purple Rene and Padawan Learner n good friend Adrian "The Brazilican Sensation" Mendoza.

My Opponent Eric Acosta is no slouch and as the match starts he beats me to attempting to pull guard. I grab a tight straight footlock and flex hard (so hard my elbow hurt for days). Victory!!!! Purple Belt first time jitters are over within 51 seconds of the match starting. John is happy so Im happy.

Next up is the Fight to Win Century Grappling Championship in Austin on Feb 6th. I signed up for masters Advanced NoGi and Masters Purple Belt,,,,,Well Set Daniels the promoter didnt have any masters for at first so I was thrown into the young bucks division with mad cats. I held my own but was put out before reaching the semis in the NoGi. Seth has no Masters for me in the Purple Belt Gi division as well. I make it to the Bronze medal match and lose.

I do have a chance of redemption in the masters as Seth has a NoGi Masters Advanced Division for me. I meet my good friend Paul McDonough in the finals. Its a BTX Fightwear showdown (shameless plug even though they dont sponsor me yet =) hahahahahaha ). Paul n I jockey for takedown in the clinch and he attempts to pull guard. I end up taking his right foot just as I did the wk before to Eric and I have it tight. He slaps my right leg attempting to pull himself up as I fall to cinch the submission. The ref calls it saying he believed Paul tapped. It was a shallow win.

Im tired n sore from all the rolling in this tough new world in the grappling community. Next up is the IBJJF Houston International Open on March 6th. Its Gi only and I WILL BE READY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment